No matter Occurs, Sing at Midnight! (Half B)
|Synopsis: Within the midst of Paul and Silas’s strife, they had been capable of sing reward to God as a result of they trusted his energy and memorized of psalms, hymns, and religious songs to sing. We are able to develop this behavior if we (1) develop playlists of our favourite hymns to take heed to; (2) preserve a hymnbook together with your Bible; (3) sing hymns in worship; (4) meditate on the hymns; and (5) move on the hymns to future generations.
Background: Paul, Silas, and Timothy had been urgent westward via the realm of Asia Minor–modern-day Turkey. They went so far as they may, and Paul had a imaginative and prescient of a person begging Him to return and preach in an enormous Roman metropolis known as Philippi. As they evangelized, Paul and Silas had been crushed and thrown into town jail.
Scripture: Acts 16:25
Conclusion: Let’s take part and sing praises to God within the midst of our struggles!
Background: In Acts 16, Paul, Silas, and Timothy had been urgent westward via the realm of Asia Minor, or modern-day Turkey. They lastly went so far as they may, to the port metropolis of Troas, the place Paul had a imaginative and prescient of a person from Northern Greece begging Him to return and preach there.
They did so, and town they entered was an enormous Roman metropolis known as Philippi. As they evangelized, Paul and Silas had been whipped after which incarcerated in shares within the metropolis jail.
Acts 16:25 says: About midnight Paul and Silas had been praying and singing hymns to God, and the opposite prisoners had been listening to them.
Three Classes from Acts 16:25
Let’s discover three issues about their singing.
- First, it doesn’t say they had been singing at midnight. These males had been severely flogged. I suppose it took a while for his or her ache to subside sufficient for them to even assume. It takes time for us to course of the issues that occur to us. I don’t know, however I suppose Paul and Silas had a protracted dialog: What occurred to us? Why did this occur to us? Why did God enable this? The extra they talked, the extra they reminded one another of God’s fact, guarantees, and style. They began to wish, and instantly they had been singing. It takes time for us to course of the issues that occur to us.
Studying to course of the issues that occur to us is important, and a number of the Psalms live examples. Have a look at Psalm 59. It begins: Ship me from my enemies, O God…. The author is going through horrible opposition that has him torn to items inside. However he spends 17 verses processing his reactions, and have a look at the ultimate verse: You’re my power, I sing reward to You; You, God, are my Fortress, My God on whom I can rely.
He moved from a sigh to a track, however it took time. We have now to present ourselves time to heal, to work via tough feelings, and to maintain our hearts wholesome. However that’s the place the hymns can assist. By the midnight hour, Paul and Silas had been singing praises to God.
- Second, discover the opposite prisoners had been listening to them. When we have now a track in our hearts, it attracts others to Christ. And after we sing and worship God, it attracts consideration to Him. A church that is filled with great worshipful music is magnetic. They didn’t dilute the message of the track. They merely worshiped—and the prisoners had by no means seen or heard something prefer it. I’m sure a few of them grew to become believers and joined the brand new church as quickly as they had been launched.
- Third, discover that their songs coincided with the earthquake that set them free. It’s exhausting for Devil to maintain a singing soul tied down. In Then Sings My Soul Ebook 3, I inform a narrative given to me by Cliff Barrows. His father, an avid Gideon, as soon as traveled to Rangoon. The realm was underneath an oppressive authorities, and Gideon Bibles had been faraway from the lodge rooms. Whereas there, he attended a gathering of the native Gideons who had been attempting to get Bibles again into the resorts. Two males started singing hymns within the room. Mr. Barrows had hassle listening to due to their quantity. Lastly he requested, “Why are these males singing whereas we’re attempting to have this assembly?” The native Gideon replied, “As a result of this room is bugged, and the singing confuses the enemy who’s attempting to take heed to us.” Glancing over to me, Cliff mentioned, “There’s a religious lesson in that. Once we sing, it confuses the enemy and permits the Lord’s work to proceed.”
The Philippian church was born amid struggling and songs. Right here, then, is my thesis: Aside from memorized Scripture, there’s nothing extra essential to your emotional and religious well-being than having in your mind a collection of memorized psalms, hymns, and religious songs.
Colossians 3:16 says: Let the phrase of Christ dwell in you richly in all knowledge, educating and admonishing each other in psalms and hymns and religious songs, singing with grace in your hearts to the Lord.
That means the Phrase of Christ is filling your thoughts, and the songs of Christ are filling your coronary heart.
What I Would possibly Have Sung
This message has guided me via 50 years of pastoral ministry: Older folks badly want newer music, and youthful folks badly want older hymns. Like each different era for the reason that days of David, we should always respect the good religious songs which have stood the check of time, permitting every era so as to add to them.
One among my favourite songs is “He’s exalted, the King is exalted on excessive. I’ll reward Him!” One other track by Wealthy Mullins says: “Our God is an superior God. He reigns from heaven above with knowledge, energy, and love.”
I’ve two favourite songs from the final twenty years. The primary says, “Cover me now underneath Your wings. Cowl me inside Your mighty hand. When the oceans rise and thunders roar I’ll soar with You above the storm. Father, You’re King over the flood. I might be nonetheless and know you might be God.”
We sang this track throughout a never-to-be-forgotten worship service following the flood in 2010 that devastated our space in Nashville.
My different track is “Your Grace Nonetheless Amazes Me” by Phillips, Craig, and Dean.
The issue going through pastors and worship leaders right now is the very quick shelf lifetime of right now’s songs. After singing a track for a brief time frame, we discard it. A current research mentioned the typical lifetime of a well-liked trendy worship track is three years, however that’s beneficiant.
The result’s we’re depriving worshippers of the very factor Paul and Silas possessed of their cell—an internalized hymnbook of their minds.
By singing songs that solely final just a few months, we’re stopping our folks from having a track of their hearts.
Whereas I really like newer music, I can’t let you know how grateful I’m for the traditional hymns which have outlived the traits and pop charts. Had I been Paul and Silas, I consider I might have sung the songs I knew the most effective and liked essentially the most.
- O worship the King, all wonderful above, and gratefully sing, His energy and His love.
- Reward ye the Lord, the Almighty, the King of creation. O, my soul, reward Him, for He’s thy well being and salvation.
- Rejoice the Lord is King, your King and Lord adore. Rejoice, give thanks, and sing, and triumph evermore.
- Nice is Thy faithfulness, O God my Father, there is no such thing as a shadow of turning with Thee.
- Blessed assurance, Jesus is mine! O, what a foretaste of glory divine.
- Jesus, what a Buddy for sinners, Jesus lover of my soul. Buddies could fail me, foes assail me, He my Savior makes me entire.
- Oh, for a thousand tongues to sing my nice Redeemer’s reward.
- I sing the mighty energy of God that made the mountains rise. That unfold the flowing seas overseas and constructed the lofty skies.
- God our assist in ages previous, our hope for years to return.
- My hope is constructed on nothing lower than Jesus’ blood and righteousness.
I sing these to my grandchildren, on lengthy aircraft rides after I can’t sleep, after I awaken, and after I go to mattress. They calm me in the course of the midnight hour when ache or nervousness is protecting me awake.
How Can We Develop Our Personal Psychological Assortment of Psalms, Hymns, and Religious Songs?
Virtually, let’s think about these 5 steps.
First, create your personal hymns playlist. I’ve a Spotify playlist known as “Favourite Hymns.” I play it every morning, and it prepares me for my morning quiet time. We’re the primary era to have this sort of entry to music previous and new. Play it within the automotive on your youngsters. Play it at house whereas the children prepare for college.
Second, preserve a hymnbook by your Bible. You will discover hymnbooks virtually wherever. And my sequence of books, Then Sings My Soul, has the phrases and the music to every of the listed hymns, together with the story behind it. In years passed by, each Christian had his personal Bible and hymnbook that he introduced with him to church every week, and the hymnals had been generally known as the working man’s theology books.
Third, ask your worship chief for extra hymns to be woven into the material of the general public worship providers.
Fourth, be taught to meditate on the hymns. One night time my spouse, Katrina, was declining and I used to be weary and heavy-hearted. Abruptly the phrases of a Gospel track got here to thoughts. I didn’t know them very effectively, so I listened to it on my cellphone. It was as if the Lord Himself was standing there with a message: “I belief in God, wherever I could also be, upon the land or on the rolling sea. For come what could, from daily, my Heavenly Father watches over me.” That track sustained me in the course of the closing weeks of my spouse’s earthly time.
Lastly, move on the hymns to your youngsters and to the kids in your church. Wesley Hardin has an exquisite guide entitled Recreation Plan: Be Able to Cross Your Torch to the Subsequent Era. He recalled a time when he and his household had been climbing up a mountain. It wasn’t a protracted path, however it was strenuous and extra harmful than one would suppose.
Wesley mentioned they started to have misgivings, passing an indication that mentioned, “One Manner. No Climbing Down.” His seven-year-old son scampered over the boulders, however the others had been having issues, having to cling to the facet of the mountain.
Abruptly they got here to a spot the place there was a large opening—a cleft within the rock the place they may huddle, relaxation, and regroup as different hikers handed by. As he stood there, Wesley sang the phrases of an previous hymn: “Rock of Ages, cleft for me, let me disguise myself in Thee.”
He defined it to his youngsters whereas they had been actually in search of refuge in a cleft within the rock, and he instructed them how the Lord had promised safety. They prayed collectively and completed their hike with no issues. The view from the highest was well worth the effort, and the kids will always remember the Rock of ages, cleft for them.
Because the days of King David, one of many methods believers and worshippers have handed on the legacy of their religion to the following era is thru their songs, with every era including to what got here earlier than with out discarding the heritage that preceded them.
So no matter occurs, sing.
Sing within the morning, sing within the night, and like Paul and Silas, sing within the midnight hour.