Religion NewsToday

Homes of Worship: Wilshire Boulevard Temple

It’s 1929 in Los Angeles. There are a million residents within the metropolis. Miracle Mile is changing into the brand new business heart, drawing folks out of downtown. New homes of worship are being inbuilt West L.A. The chief of Congregation B’nai B’rith, Rabbi Edgar Magnin, has simply put his congregation on the heart of it with a newly constructed Wilshire Boulevard Temple. Right this moment the Temple is listed on the Nationwide Register for Historic Locations and is among the many really iconic church buildings of L.A. with the likes of La Iglesia de Nuestra Señora la Reina de los Ángeles, which was devoted in 1822 and is likely one of the oldest missions within the metropolis; the Wayfarers Chapel, a glass church on a cliff overlooking the Pacific designed by Lloyd Wright; the Château Élysée, a Seventeenth-century-style Normandy citadel that’s now the Church of Scientology Celeb Centre; the Los Angeles California Temple, the second largest temple of the LDS Church; and the modern landmark on the coronary heart of downtown, the Cathedral of Our Girl of the Angels.

Rabbi Edgar Magnin, often known as “Rabbi to the celebrities,” was the visionary behind Wilshire Boulevard Temple and the contributions of his Hollywood congregants present within the temple itself. A number of the greatest names of the day in Hollywood have been concerned: Irving Thalberg, Carl Laemmle, Louis B. Mayer and Sol Lesser offered the funding and used their craftsmen to assemble and add slightly little bit of Hollywood magic to the temple itself. From the inside ornament of the dome to the film theater-style seating, Hollywood members of the congregation have been concerned. The Warner Memorial Murals adorning the partitions of the temple have been painted by Hugo Ballin, a painter and movie director who labored for Warner Brothers and was commissioned for the temple murals by none aside from Jack, Harry and Albert Warner, the Warner Brothers.  

Abram M. Edelman, son of the congregation’s first rabbi, designed the historic temple in Moorish architectural model. It’s topped by a dome, impressed by the Pantheon in Rome, which is 100 ft in diameter and peaks at 135 ft above the road. Contained in the sanctuary there are seats for 1,658 congregants, lancet stained-glass home windows to the east and west, 320 ft of murals and a 4,100-pipe Kimball organ. And straight above is the virtually honeycomb sample rising to fulfill the dome above.

The Wilshire Boulevard Temple has expanded since opening to turn out to be the Erika J. Glazer Household Campus, consisting of a whole metropolis block with a 55,000-square-foot pavilion, an early childhood center and a community service center. Moreover, they’ve opened new campuses in West L.A. and Brentwood to additional service their rising congregation. They’re more and more working with their group, serving to their neighbors as Edgar Magnin put it: “Whereas we’re alive, let’s transfer, sing, giggle, cry, pray, love, dwell…get pleasure from at present and construct for tomorrow…and all collectively.”

Related Articles

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Back to top button